Nutritious Hot Cross Buns 🐰
2 Apr 2023
A classic Easter treat made healthy! These healthy wholemeal hot cross buns are naturally sweetened with fruit and honey, yum!
- 1 orange, juice and zested
- 150g sultanas
- 325ml buttermilk (or half yoghurt and half milk)
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 tbs honey
- 250g white bread flour
- 250g wholemeal bread flour
- 1 tbs instant yeast
- 1/4 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Hot Cross Pastry:
- 6 tbs plain flour
- 5 tbs water
- 3 tbs honey
- Juice orange and place juice in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4min to reduce liquid by approx half. Add sultanas and set to the side.
- Warm the buttermilk for 1 min in the microwave. Stir in honey and grated apple.
- Stand mixer: Mix with dough hook - flour, yeast, bicarb soda, mixed spice, cinnamon and salt.
- Add buttermilk mix and sultana and orange juice mix.
- Mix for 5-10 min on speed 2 of stand mixer until a smooth elastic dough forms.
- If hand kneading: Place flour, yeast, bicarb soda, mixed spice, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add buttermilk mix and sultana mix and mix into a rough dough.
- Dust a benchtop with flour and knead by hand for 10 minute until you have a smooth and elastic dough.
- Place dough in a large greased mixing bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
- Transfer dough onto a floured benchtop and divide into 16 pieces. Shape into balls and place on a baking tray close together. Flatten each ball a little.
- Place in a warm place for one hour covered with greased cling film or a clean tea towel.
- You can make your hot cross mix while your Hot Cross Buns are proving.Make a smooth paste by mixing the flour with the water in a jug.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 180°C / Gas Mark 6
- Use a spoon or a pipe to form crosses on the hot cross buns once they are ready to go into the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack after brushing with honey or maple syrup.
Looking for more recipes?
Join DediKate and receive a 7-day free trial! From healthy dinners to a snack on-the-go, we share fresh and easy recipes every week. Take the hassle out of what to eat by trying our delicious new healthy recipes, perfect for the whole family.
Learn how to fuel your body and look after it with food, in a long term sustainable way. No diets and no guilt!
More from the Blog!
Why We Love 20 Minute Workouts 💪
5 Apr 2023
Our Trip To NSW
20 Mar 2023