No weights, no problem!
This does not mean resistance training is out of the picture, though! All it takes is a little imagination and thinking outside the box, and you can still get a great workout in at home.
We have put together a few great household items you can use and a few places you may still be able to get your hands on weights if you want to purchase.
- Your body! Don’t underestimate the power of body weight. The great thing about bodyweight exercises is that you can focus on correct form and depth. Adding pulses to these movements also adds intensity! Think deep squats or lunges, holding or pulsing at the bottom, holding a press up at the lowest point or even raising a leg or arm during your planking! All these options will add an extra challenge and are guaranteed to get a burn on.
- A chair or step. Try step-ups, elevating a leg whilst lunging or using as a level to lower your squat too!
- Kitchen cans! These can be used in many ways – hand weights, adding to a shopping bag for a makeshift Kettlebell or spaced out for a ladder or shuttles. Cutlery is also an excellent tool for fast ladder footwork.
- A backpack filled with something heavy is super handy for adding weight to bodyweight moves like squats and lunges – make sure it’s done up, and the straps are nice and firm.
- Heavy books can be used as weight plates or even for elevating a foot or hand in bodyweight movements like squats, lunges and press-ups.
As far as where to buy weights, there are a few options throughout NZ – most of which offer delivery.
If you do purchase, it’s a good idea to invest in a couple of weight options, one lighter set and one heavier. This way, you can work larger and smaller muscle groups – your arms aren’t able to carry as much load as larger muscles like your legs and bum for instance!
DediKate’s Boot Camp Blast workout uses a different household item every week to add an extra challenge. There are so many other workouts available on DediKate that require no equipment, why not give our two-week free trial a go and try them out for yourself?!
We hope you found this useful! If you have any other imaginative ideas, we would love to hear about them!
Get in touch with us at any time.